In ginger there are several chemical compounds like phenol compounds, terpenes, polysaccharides, lipids, organic acids and fiber. Ginger’s health benefits are mostly linked to its phenol compounds; gingerols and shogaols.
Several studies shows that ginger is good at lowering inflammation, supports digestive system, antimicrobial, supports nervous system, supports blood vessel health and metabolism.
Reduces Joint Pain and Inflammation
Studies shows that ginger is a strong antioxidant.
It has proven itself to be useful for treating joint pain related inflammation. The inflammation lowering effects are based on polyphenols. The use of ginger has also shown positive results in lowering exercise related muscle pain in studies by Georgia University, it showed 25% decrease of exercise related muscle pain.
Supports Digestive System
Polyphenols in ginger are known from its benefits to digestive system by easing the irritated bowel and stimulating the production of saliva. It also seems to have positive effect on the function of trypsin enzyme and pancreas lipase enzyme and that way it supports the function of digestive system.
Combat Soreness & Joint Fatigue
Ginger increases the blood flow and supports metabolism, which helps to decrease swelling.
In studies ginger has shown to have antimicrobial, antifugnal and antiviral properties. Which means it helps to fight against infections in the body.
Ji, K.; Fang, L.; Zhao, H.; Li, Q.; Shi, Y.; Xu, C.; Wang, Y.; Du, L.; Wang, J.; Liu, Q. Ginger oleoresin alleviated gamma-ray irradiation-induced reactive oxygen species via the Nrf2 protective response in human mesenchymal stem cells. Oxid. Med. Cell. Longev. 2017, 2017, 1480294. [CrossRef]
- Schadich, E.; Hlavac, J.; Volna, T.; Varanasi, L.; Hajduch, M.; Dzubak, P. Effects of ginger phenylpropanoids and quercetin on Nrf2-ARE pathway in human BJ fibroblasts and HaCaT keratinocytes. Biomed Res. Int. 2016, 2016, 2173275.
- MDPI and ACS Style Mao, Q.-Q.; Xu, X.-Y.; Cao, S.-Y.; Gan, R.-Y.; Corke, H.; Beta, T.; Li, H.-B. Bioactive Compounds and Bioactivities of Ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe). Foods 2019, 8, 185.
- Efficacy and safety of ginger in osteoarthritis patients: a meta-analysis of randomized placebo-controlled trials E.M. Bartels y *, V.N. Folmer y, H. Bliddal y, R.D. Altman z, C. Juhl x, S. Tarp y, W. Zhang k, R. Christensen y x
- Christopher D. Black, Matthew P. Herring, David J. Hurley, Patrick J. O'Connor. Ginger (Zingiber officinale) Reduces Muscle Pain Caused by Eccentric Exercise. The Journal of Pain, 2010; DOI: 10.1016/j.jpain.2009.12.013
- Gingerols and shogaols: Important nutraceutical principles from ginger. 2015 Sep;117:554-568. doi: 10.1016/j.phytochem.2015.07.012. Epub 2015 Jul 27.
- The effect of ginger supplementation on some immunity and inflammation intermediate genes expression in patients with active Rheumatoid Arthritis. Gene. 2019 May 25;698:179-185. doi: 10.1016/j.gene.2019.01.048. Epub 2019 Mar 4.